Being honest is always seen as a good personality feature, however being too honest can make others feel uncomfortable and sometimes can cause hurt to others where it could have been avoided.
Being blunt can mean you get what you want because you’re straightforward about it but here are the few disadvantages with being incredibly honest:
- You find it difficult to lie. This may not be seen as a bad thing but sometimes you have to tell a white lie to get yourself out of sticky situations and those who are brutally honest find it difficult to persuade people with the exaggerated truth. Even if you do try to lie you always get caught in the end. This is why 90% of the time I just don’t bother with any lies.
- People find you are too honest and don’t like you for this. I’ve been told many times that I can be quite blunt and some people find this surprising. They tend to dislike my honesty when it comes with discussing my opinion on their physical appearance.
- Due to your predictably some people may find you boring. Those who are close to you can predict your actions and reactions to certain situations.
- Some people find your honesty to be quite rude due to your lack of sugar-coating. To be honest I don’t give a shit whether people find me rude.
- You may end up saying something you shouldn’t have. A bit like when people blurt all kinds of gossip when they’re drunk…however this is you sober as well.
- You face a lot of rejections at job interviews because you tend not to be very good at bullshitting people.
- Sometimes you can come across as desperate. If there’s something you want you’ll go get it. No romantic rubbish just a simple “Can we fuck?”
- You will take risks in relationships. Some people find it difficult to stomach honesty without a strong degree of respect for whoever is telling the truth. Which is why you will need a strong element of trust with those you are in a relationship with.
- Working in sales sometimes you have to lie to satisfy the customer’s needs. Being honest can sometimes cause the customer to be upset or angry which causes more problems than solving any.
While there are some disadvantages in being honest it doesn’t mean you have to constantly say whatever it is you are thinking. It also doesn’t mean you have to be disrespectful in what it is you have to say.
Being honest or bold doesn’t mean you have to be blunt.