Like with most personality traits there is a scale when it comes to introversion and extroversion. Some people are definitely either one or the other but some people are a bit of both.
Don’t tell me I can’t be both, I mean I’m already bi so I obviously have a thing with not making decisions.
An ambivert is someone who has the combination of both introvert and extrovert characteristics. The fact there is a definition for this must mean it’s a thing as well.
Here are a few examples of why I believe I’m an extroverted introvert:
- Whether my evening consists of going out for drinks with a few mates or ordering pizza and watching Netflix alone, I will enjoy both options equally. It does also depend on my mood as I may be more inclined to do one than the other.
- Introverts tend to find socialising emotionally draining, whereas with me there are some people where I can feel physically exhausted from talking to them for 5 minutes. However, there are some people I could talk to for days and I would never feel drained.
- There are times where I can be with a group of people and be completely quiet the entire time and sometimes I can be the loudest one in the room.
- I don’t actually mind meeting new people. Although I’d probably prefer hanging out with people I already know quite well.
- Whilst I can do small talk I secretly hate it. I can’t be bothered with all this “How are you and how was your weekend” bullshit. In all honesty, I don’t care about your weekend and I know you don’t care about mine.
- I love my alone time like any other introvert, however, after too much alone time, I can either feel bored or lonely.
- I can be a good listener but I also appreciate it when someone listens to my endless rants.
It is basically all about balance so some days I will be a bit more introverted and some days I will be more extroverted. It also depends on my mood. But if you’ve felt that you have never been able to put into yourself in one category or the other it may be because you’re an ambivert.
My book is finally here! You can get a copy of “Letters to my Past” by clicking here!